Friday, September 09, 2005

 

I heart conversation

Sometimes it is easy to underestimate the authoritarian nature of school. If your English teacher demands that you write in a certain way, you don't have a choice in the matter. Maybe because of the underlying absurdity, I have always been able to recall the first time that an English teacher delivered the mandate to me that all writing must be in the third person. (I have the same lucent recollection of the absurd mandate my college government professor gave regarding the necessity of straight ticket voting. Of course, in both instances I figured I just didn't understand)

Well, our English teachers were wrong and it creeps me out to no end how the sum total of all the subtle manipulations of school can suck the curiosity out of its victims. Here's a nice summary.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?